Easy and soft gluten free marble bundt cake made of a simple vanilla and chocolate cake batter. The streaks of chocolate against the delicious vanilla cake are captivating and delightful.
Nothing can compare to a soft and delicious slice of gluten free marble bundt cake.
This is one of my favorites cakes to make as you can have it any time. It makes a delicious breakfast and a wonderful snack at coffee or tea time.
Not only is this cake pretty, but it is also easy to make!
The Secret to Soft Gluten-Free Marble Cake
Baking is a science, and the results heavily depend on the ingredients used! Here is what you need to make this cake!
- Gluten-Free Flour Mix: I used a mix of white rice flour, tapioca flour, corn starch, brown rice flour, and added xanthan gum. You can also use Dove Farm's Gluten-Free Plain White Flour.
- Baking Powder & Baking Soda: The baking powder and baking soda is used to make the cake rise.
- Unsalted Butter: Make sure that the butter is softened and is at room temperature.
- Cream Cheese: The cream cheese makes the gluten free marble bundt cake soft and moist. Ensure that the cream cheese is at room temperature.
- Granulated White Sugar
- Eggs: Ensure that the eggs are at room temperature.
- Vanilla Extract: Use the best vanilla extract you can find.
- Buttermilk: The buttermilk helps keep the crumbs of this cake soft.
- Cocoa Powder: Is used to make the chocolate cake batter.
- Full-Fat Milk: Used to hydrate the chocolate cake batter.
See the recipe card for quantities.
Marble Cake From Scratch
- Preheat the oven to 180 ºC (356 ºF)
- Prepare the dry ingredients: In a bowl, add and sift the gluten-free flour mix, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Sifting the dry ingredients ensures that no large lump remains and makes the cake soft.
- Make the cake vanilla cake batter: Using a stand-alone mixer, with the paddle attachment fitted, or a hand-held mixer combine the butter, cream cheese, and sugar at medium-high speed until creamy. Then reduce the speed, and add the eggs one at a time, incorporating the eggs with each addition. Next, add the vanilla extra and mix until just combined. Add ⅓ of the dry ingredients followed by ⅓ the amount of buttermilk and mix until combined. Repeat two more times.
- Make the chocolate cake batter: Scoop ½ cup of vanilla cake batter and place it in a small bowl. Then add the cocoa powder and milk, and mix until just combined. This is the chocolate cake batter.
- Assemble the gluten free marble bundt cake: Grease a standard-sized bundt pan. Add ⅓ the amount of vanilla cake batter. Then drizzle some chocolate cake batter on top. You can choose to pipe the batter to create shapes and styles or simply pour some using a spoon as I did. Repeat two more times.
- Bake the marble cake: Bake the cake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean. Let the cake rest in the bundt pan for at least 10 minutes and no more than 15 minutes before inverting it.
Making this cake dairy-free is simple Here are a few suggestions on how you can do that.
- Unsalted Butter - use vegan butter or vegetable oil. To use vegetable oil, substitute 160 grams of unsalted butter with 120 grams of vegetable oil.
- Buttermilk- use dairy-free buttermilk. To make dairy-free buttermilk for this recipe, add one tablespoon and a half of lemon juice or white vinegar to 275 ml of almond/coconut milk.
- Full Fat Milk - Use your choice of dairy-free milk.
Modifying The Marble Cake
This gluten free marble cake can be modified. Here are a few suggestions on how you can make this cake even better!
- Cinnamon - add a teaspoon of ground cinnamon to the vanilla cake batter to make this cake more interesting.
- Coffee - add a teaspoon of instant coffee to the chocolate cake batter
- Mint Extract - if you are a fan of mint and chocolate, then add ¼ teaspoon of mint extract to the chocolate cake batter.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can substitute corn starch with potato starch in this case.
Various frosting flavors pair perfectly with marble cake such as cream cheese frosting, vanilla frosting, and chocolate frosting.
You can substitute 120 grams of vegetable oil for 160 grams of unsalted butter. However, the texture of this cake might differ.
Other Delicious Gluten-Free Bundt Cakes
Gluten Free Marble Bundt Cake
- 160 grams of White Rice Flour
- 64 grams of Tapioca Flour
- 32 grams of Corn Starch
- 64 grams of Brown Rice Flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon of Xanthan Gum
- 1 ½ teaspoon of Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon of Baking Soda
- ¾ teaspoon of Salt
- 160 grams of Unsalted Butter at room temperature
- 64 grams of Cream Cheese at room temperature
- 250 grams of Granulated White Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs at room temperature
- 1 Egg White
- 1 tablespoon of Vanilla Extract
- 275 ml of Buttermilk at room temperature
- 2 Tablespoons of Cocoa Powder
- 4 ½ Tablespoons of Full-Fat Milk
- Preheat the oven to 180 ºC (356 ºF)
- Add and combine the white rice flour, tapioca flour, corn starch, brown rice flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set the dry ingredients aside.
- Using a standalone mixer, with the paddle attachment fitted or handheld mixer, beat the butter, cream cheese, sugar at medium-high speed until creamy (1-2 minutes). Then add the eggs one at a time, mixing until incorporated with each addition. Then, add the vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- Add ⅓ of dry ingredients followed by ⅓ of the buttermilk and mix until combined. Repeat two more times until the vanilla cake batter is formed (1-2 minutes). Do not overmix the batter. The cake batter will be thick.
- Scoop ½ cup of vanilla cake batter and add the cocoa powder and milk to it. Whisk until just combined.
- Grease a standard-size bundt pan with butter. Pour ⅓ of the vanilla cake batter into the bundt pan. Then drizzle some of the chocolate cake batter on top. Repeat two more times.
- Bake, the gluten free marble cake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool down in the bundt pan for 10-15 minutes before inverting it. Then, flip the cake onto a cooling rack and let it cool down to room temperature before storing.
- Gluten-Free Flour Mix: If the flour blend you are using contains xanthan gum then omit it. I highly recommend using Dove Farm Gluten Free Plain White Flour.
- Dairy-Free Option: This cake can be dairy-free by using vegan cream cheese and dairy-free buttermilk. See above for suggestions and substitutions.
- Storage: The gluten free marble bundt cake can be stored in the fridge in an air-tight container for up to a week and up to three days at room temperature.