This is the easiest gluten-Free meatballs recipe. This gluten-free meatballs recipe does not require bread crumbs. Pair these meatballs with gluten-free spaghetti and enjoy.
I love meatballs, especially on days when I'm too busy to cook dinner. They are quick to make and taste delicious. Traditionally meatballs contain bread crumbs, which help them hold their shape. However, since we are making gluten-free meatballs, using gluten-free bread crumbs is not very convenient as they are expensive. Hence, we will be using almond flour instead. The use of almond flour will provide our meatballs with structure, and it tastes so much better than bread crumbs.
This gluten-free meatball recipe requires the following ingredients:
- Minced Beef or Lamb: I mainly use minced beef for this recipe, but you can use minced lamb. Or even better, you can combine the two.
- Red or White Onion Diced
- Diced Garlic Cloves
- Rosemary: Use fresh rosemary. Remove the leaves and dice the rosemary into small pieces.
- Dried Oregano
- Ground Cumin
- Salt and Black Pepper
- Dijon Mustard: If you have gluten-free dijon mustard, I recommend adding it to this gluten-free meatballs recipe. However, you can omit it if you want.
- Almond Flour: will be used instead of bread crumbs. Almond flour provides a tasty nutty flavor to the meatballs.
- Tomato Sauce: You can use any basic tomato sauce or canned crushed tomato.
- Fresh Basil: to provide flavor to the sauce.
- Mozzarella Cheese: Use mozzarella blocks instead of shredded mozzarella cheese. It tastes and melts better.
How to make gluten-free meatballs?
To make our gluten-free meatballs, we will first start by combining minced beef, onion, garlic, fresh rosemary, dried oregano, ground cumin, salt, black pepper, eggs, dijon mustard, and almond flour in a bowl.
Add two tablespoons of olive oil to a skillet on medium-low heat.
Then take two tablespoons of meat batter and form a meatball. Keep forming meatballs until you are out of meat batter. I ended up with 16 meatballs.
Once the skillet is hot, add the meatballs and let it sear for 3 minutes. Then flip the meatballs on the other side and let them sear for another 3 minutes.
Once the meatballs are cooked, transfer them to a Casserole.
Then pour a basic tomato sauce on the meatballs. If you don’t have tomato sauce, you can use canned crushed tomatoes. Then lay on top of the sauce some basil leaves. The basil leaves will provide the sauce with flavor and give it some dimension.
Then take pieces of the mozzarella cheese and lay them on top of the sauce.
Then cover the casserole with aluminum foil and cook the meatballs in the oven on the middle rack, at 180℃ for 25-30 minutes.
You can combine the meatballs with rice or gluten-free spaghetti. I love meatballs and spaghetti and hence when I need comfort food I go for spaghetti.
Gluten-Free Meatballs Recipe
- 400 grams of Minced Beef or Minced Lamb
- 2 Large Red Onion or White Onion Diced
- 2 Cloves of Garlic Diced
- 1 Sprig of Fresh Rosemary
- 1 tablespoon of Oregano
- ½ teaspoon of Cumin Powder
- 1 teaspoon of Salt
- ½ teaspoon of Black Pepper
- 1 Large Egg
- ¼ Cup of Almond Flour
- 1 tablespoon of Gluten-Free Dijon Mustard
- 2 tablespoon of Olive Oil
- 400 grams of Basic Tomato Sauce
- A Handful of Fresh Basil
- Preheat the oven to 180℃
- In a small bowl, mix the minced beef, diced onion, diced garlic, rosemary, oregano, cumin, salt, black pepper, egg, almond flour, and dijon mustard.
- Next, take 2 tablespoon of meat batter and form it into a meatball. Repeat until you are out of meat batter. In the end, you should have approximately 16 meatballs.
- Then add 2 tablespoon of olive oil to a skillet at medium-low heat. Allow the oil to heat for about one minute.
- Afterward, add the meatballs to the skillet and let them sear for 3 minutes. Then flip the meatballs to the other side and let them sear for another 3 minutes.
- Once the meatballs are cooked, to your preferred degree of doneness, transfer them to a casserole.
- Add the basic tomato sauce to the casserole, and top it with basil and cheese. Then cover the casserole with aluminum foil.
- Cook the meatballs in the oven on the middle rack for 25 minutes.
- You can use minced beef or minced lamb. You can also mix minced beef with minced lamb. For example, you can use 200g of minced beef and 200g of minced lamb.
- To prepare the rosemary, remove the leaves from the sprig and dice them into little pieces.
- Use mozzarella cheese blocks and not shredded mozzarella for better results.