Two gluten-free M&M cookies and ice cream in between.. sounds like a summer paradise?
I grew up eating M&M ice cream cookie sandwiches. I looked around for a gluten-free version but didn’t find any. This recipe will demonstrate how to make gluten-free m&m cookies, similar in texture to the original M&M cookies.
The cookie dough is similar to my white chocolate chip cookie recipe but with a small adjustment to achieve the cake-like texture in the original M&M ice cream cookie sandwich.
To make the best gluten-free m&m cookies you will need the following ingredients:
- White rice flour, almond flour, and tapioca starch: If you have tried my cookies recipes before, such as my white chocolate chip cookies, you know that I like to use this combination of gluten-free flours to achieve moist and soft cookies.
- Cornstarch: So the cookies don’t spread too much.
- Xanthan gum: Xanthan gum will help the ingredients bind together and prevent them from separating.
- Baking Soda & Baking Powder: I usually don’t include baking powder in my cookies. However, in this M&M cookie recipe, baking powder is essential to achieve a chewy cake-like texture.
- Unsalted Butter & Cream Cheese: My favorite two ingredients in cookies. Cream cheese will help make your cookies chewy and moist.
- Granulated White Sugar & Dark Brown Sugar: You can use all granulated white sugar for this recipe if you don’t have brown sugar. However, you might be sacrificing a bit on the flavor and color.
- Whole Egg & Egg Yolk: The use of additional egg yolk provides extra fat content to the cookies, making them moist.
- Vanilla Extract
- Chocolate M&M’s: Self-explanatory... Aka, the star of this recipe.
Preparing the Cookie Dough
Start preparing the cookie dough by sifting and combining the dry ingredients. Sifting the dry ingredients prevents the formation of flour lumps in your cookies.
Next, cream the butter, sugar, and cream cheese using a stand-alone mixer with the paddle attachment at medium-high speed or using a hand-held blender. It takes about 3 to 4 minutes for the butter, sugar, and cream cheese to reach a fluffy and light texture.
At this stage, reduce the speed of the stand-alone mixer to low and add one whole egg. Wait for about 30 seconds and then add the egg yolk and increase the speed to medium-high. Adding each egg separately allows the eggs to incorporate and prevents the batter from curdling.
Afterward, add the dry ingredients slowly to the wet ingredients. After the ingredients are well combined, add the chocolate M&Ms and mix gently with a spatula.
Cover the M&M cookie dough tightly and let it chill in the fridge for a minimum of two hours.
Baking the Cookies
Remove the cookie dough from the fridge and preheat the oven to 180℃. Align a cookie tray with baking paper, and using an ice cream scooper, scoop the cookie dough and set each cookie 3 cm apart.
Bake the cookies for 10-11 minutes or until the edges are golden.
After the gluten-free M&M cookies are baked, transfer them from the cookie tray to a cooling rack after five minutes. Allowing the cookies to cool down on the cookie tray for five minutes allows the cookies to stiffen and bake further.
You should have about 24 M&M cookies!
Making M&M Cookie Sandwich
Filling the M&M cookies with ice cream can be a bit tricky. To start, take one M&M cookie and turn it upside down so that the flat bottom is facing upward. Add two ice cream scoops to the cookie's flat bottom.
Then using a flat item such as a cup or a measuring cup, gently push on the ice cream to spread it until it reaches the edges of the cookies.
Meanwhile, take another M&M cookie and set it on top of the ice cream to make an M&M ice cream cookie sandwich!
To store the M&M ice cream sandwiches, wrap each cookie sandwich with plastic wrap and place it in the freezer. The cookies can last in the freezer for up to two weeks.
You might end up with some lines in your ice cream from the plastic wrap, as seen below, but that's fine. They still taste good!
" If you have tried this recipe, don't forget to rate and comment! 😊 "
Gluten-Free M&M Ice cream Cookie Sandwich
- 135 grams of White Rice Flour
- 81 grams of Tapioca Flour
- 54 grams of Almond Flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon of Cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon of Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- ½ teaspoon of Salt
- 110 grams of Unsalted Butter at Room Temperature
- 70 grams of Cream Cheese at Room Temperature
- 170 grams of Dark Brown Sugar
- 100 grams of Granulated Sugar
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 2 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- 300 grams of Chocolate M&M
- 500 ml Of Gluten-Free Vanilla Ice cream or Chocolate Ice Cream
- In your stand-alone mixer with the paddle attachment or using a hand-held mixer, beat the cream cheese, butter, and sugar together at medium speed until light and fluffy (3 - 5 Minutes)
- Then add in the eggs one at a time, followed by the vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder, xanthan gum, and salt.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix at low speed using the paddle attachment until combined. ( 3 Minutes)
- Now add in the chocolate M&M and incoproate it into the cookie dough using a spatula.
- Then cover the cookie dough tightly and chill the dough in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours.
- After the cookie dough is chilled, preheat the oven to 180 °C. While the oven is heating, align your cookie tray with baking paper.
- Using an ice-cream scooper, scoop the dough and place them on the baking paper at least 5 cm apart.
- Place the cookies in the oven and bake for 10 to 11 minutes until the cookie's bottom is slightly golden.
- Once the cookies are baked, let them sit at room temperature for 5 minutes before removing them from the baking pan and placing them on a cooling rack.
- Turn 12 cookies upside down and add two scoops of vanilla or chocolate ice cream. Then, spread the ice cream to the edges of each cookie using a flat surface such as the back of a measuring cup (see photo above)
- Afterward, close each cookie sandwich with the remaining cookies. You should have a total of 12 cookie sandwiches.
- You can prepare the cookie dough the night before and store it in the fridge.
- The M&M ice cream cookies sandwiches can be wrapped in plastic wrap and stored in the freezer for up to two weeks.