Dense, fudgy, and caramelized gluten free blondies. If you love brownies, then you will definitely love these.
If you love brownies, these gluten-free blondies are the next best thing. Blondies are similar to brownies, with one significant difference, they are flavored with vanilla instead of cocoa.
The blondies are dense and have a delicious mouthwatering caramel flavor from brown sugar.
Most people tend to add white chocolate chips to their blondies, but I like to combine white chocolate chips with butterscotch chips. The butterscotch chips take these gluten free blondies to a whole new level.
I also add a subtle hint of nutmeg, which adds spice to the blondies. It makes all the difference, trust me!
The Secret to Mouthwatering Gluten Free Blondies
Blondies are made with simple ingredients like flour, sugar, and eggs. However, a few ingredients in this recipe make these gluten free blondies irresistible and soft.
Gluten-Free Flour Mix: For the gluten free flour mix, I will be using white rice flour, tapioca flour, corn starch, and brown rice flour. I find that this combination of gluten free flour always yields great results. However, I have tried this recipe with Bob’s 1 to 1 Gluten-Free Baking Flour, and it works great. Hence, you can use it with a 1:1 substitution ratio. Nevertheless, you will need to omit the xanthan gum in that case.
Nutmeg: The nutmeg provides these blondies with spice and makes them great for the holidays! You can grate fresh nutmeg or use ground nutmeg. I used ground nutmeg for this recipe.
Brown Sugar: You can make blondies with white sugar only, but they will turn out bland. The brown sugar adds a caramel flavor to the gluten free blondies and makes them moist.
Butterscotch Chocolate Chips: If you are not a fan of butterscotch chocolate chips, you can use white chocolate chips only instead. However, I’m a massive fan of the butterscotch flavor, and adding it to the blondies adds richness to the caramel flavor.
Making Gluten Free Blondies from Scratch
I love recipes that do not require any electric devices. Making these gluten free blondies is easy and convenient. Gather your ingredients, two bowls, a whisk, a spatula, and let’s dive in!
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C (356°F).
- Mix the dry ingredients: Whisk and combine white rice flour, tapioca flour, corn starch, brown rice flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg. Make sure to sift the dry ingredients to prevent flour lumps.
- Mix the wet ingredients: In a separate bowl, whisk and combine the white sugar, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, and vegetable oil. Then, add the dry ingredients and mix. Now add the butterscotch and white chocolate chips and gently fold them into the blondies batter.
- Prepare the blondies: Pour the gluten free blondies batter in a 20 x 20 cm (8 x 8 inch) square pan aligned with parchment paper. Using a spatula, evenly spread the batter across the pan. The batter will be thick. You can also top the blondies with extra chocolate chips.
- Bake the blondies: Bake the blondies, with the oven rack at the middle position, for 27-30 minutes or until the edges are firm. You can also test the doneness of the blondies by inserting a toothpick at the center. If the toothpick inserted comes out clean with little crumbs, the blondies are ready. Do not overbake the blondies, as they taste best when dense and fudgy.
I love this gluten free blondies recipe because it is dairy-free. However, make sure that the brand you use for chocolate chips is labeled as dairy-free.
I recently tried Enjoy Life’s chocolate chips, and they taste amazing. I also loved adding them to my cookies. However, I’m yet to find butterscotch chocolate chips that are dairy-free.
Other Brownies Recipes
Gluten Free Blondies
- 115 grams of White Rice Flour
- 46 grams of Tapioca Flour
- 23 grams of Corn Starch
- 46 grams of Brown Rice Flour
- 1 teaspoon of Xanthan Gum Omit if your flour blend includes it
- 1 ½ teaspoon of Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon of Salt
- ¼ teaspoon of Nutmeg
- 85 grams of Granulated White Sugar
- 200 grams of Brown Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 ½ tablespoon of Vanilla Extract
- 130 ml of Vegetable Oil
- 100 grams of Butterscotch Chocolate Chips
- 100 grams of White Chocolate Chips
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C (356°F).
- Add and combine the white rice flour, tapioca flour, corn starch, brown rice flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, add and combine the white sugar, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, and vegetable oil. Then, add the flour mixture and whisk until combined. Now, add the butterscotch, white chocolate chips and fold them into the batter.
- Align a 20 x 20 cm (8 x 8 inch) square pan with parchment paper. Pour the blondies batter and spread it evenly across the pan using a spatula.
- Bake the blondies for 27-30 minutes or until the edges are firm.
- Storing: The gluten free blondies can be stored in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to three days. They can also be stored in the fridge for up to a week. Storing them in the refrigerator keeps them fresh and soft.