Pink sauce pasta made with coconut milk and gluten-free pasta. This dish is healthy, comforting and is the perfect meal to make after a busy day or week!
In the middle east, pink sauce pasta is very well-known and is considered comfort food. It is usually made with tomato, heavy cream, milk, and cheese. In this recipe, we will modernize pink sauce pasta and make it healthier.
What you need to make a healthy pink sauce pasta!
To start, you will need the following ingredients:
Gluten-Free Penne Pasta or Spaghetti: You can use penne pasta or spaghetti. Traditionally this recipe is made with spaghetti, but I prefer penne pasta as it is less messy and can easily be packed for lunch to take to work. Prepare the pasta as per the package instructions.
Red Onion & Garlic: Onion and garlic are essential ingredients and provide this dish with a strong flavor foundation. Both the onion and garlic cloves need to be diced.
Green Capsicum, Yellow Capsicum, and Red Capsicum: The use of all three capsicum colors provides this dish with plenty of nutritional value and makes it fulfilling. To prepare the capsicum, you will need to wash it and dice it.
Dried Basil & Fresh basil: To add more flavor to the pink pasta, we will use dried basil and fresh basil. The fresh basil leaves need to be chopped.
1 Can of Chopped Tomato and Tomato Paste: The foundation of the pink pasta sauce is tomato. The use of tomato paste thickens the sauce and increases the tomato flavor.
Coconut Milk: To turn the tomato sauce pink, we will add coconut milk. The coconut milk also provides the pink sauce with an elegant coconut flavor making it irresistible. Don't worry, the coconut milk will not be overpowering. The flavor of coconut is subtle and just right!
Mozzarella Cheese: Adding mozzarella cheese to the pink pasta sauce is optional. However, adding mozzarella cheese provides the sauce with a cheesy flavor and makes it thicker.
Salt and Black Pepper: Salt and black pepper will be used for seasoning.
Preparing the dish
Pink sauce pasta is very easy to make and is perfect for a quick dinner idea. To begin in a medium saucepan, add a drizzle of olive oil. Then once the olive oil is hot, add the diced red onion and garlic and saute until the onion is translucent in color. Afterward, add in the diced capsicums and saute for 4 minutes.
Next, add the dried basil, chopped fresh basil, chopped tomato can, tomato paste, coconut milk, mozzarella cheese, and mix until combined. The sauce will be slightly pink. Next, add in the cooked pasta and gently stir, making sure not to break the pasta.
The pink sauce pasta can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days. The pasta can be reheated at medium-low heat in a saucepan before serving. However, you can also use the microwave to reheat the pasta if you desire.
Meanwhile, if you would like to check out other dinner ideas, why not try our chicken biryani recipe?
Pink Sauce Pasta with Coconut Milk
- 400 grams of Gluten-Free Penne Pasta or Spaghetti cooked as per package instructions
- 4 tablespoon of Olive Oil
- 2 Diced Medium Red Onion
- 3 Diced Garlic Cloves
- 1 Green Capsicum Diced
- 1 Yellow Capsicum Diced
- 1 Red Capsicum Diced
- 1 tablespoon of Dried Basil
- 4 Sprigs of Fresh basil
- 1 Can of Chopped Tomato 400 grams
- 2 tablespoon of Tomato Paste
- 225 ml of Coconut Milk
- 40 grams of Mozzarella Cheese optional and can be substituted with vegan cheese
- 1 teaspoon of Salt
- ½ teaspoon of Black Pepper
- Prepare the ingredients by first cooking the pasta as per the instructions on the package.
- Next, dice the onion, garlic clove, and capsicums.
- Then, wash four sprigs of fresh basil, remove the leaves and chop the leaves.
- In a medium saucepan, at medium-low heat, add the olive oil. After 4 seconds, add the onion, garlic and sauté for 4-5 minutes until translucent in color.
- Afterward, add the capsicums and sauté for 4-5 minutes until they become soft.
- Immediately, add the dried basil, fresh basil, chopped tomato, tomato paste, coconut milk, mozzarella cheese, salt, and pepper. Then, whisk the sauce together until the ingredients are combined. Meanwhile, add the cooked pasta and gently stir.
- Serve the pink pasta warm with mozzarella cheese on the side for garnish.
- The pink sauce pasta can be stored in the fridge for up to four days in an airtight container.
- The pink pasta can be reheated in the microwave or in a saucepan at medium-low heat. You can add a little bit of coconut milk or water to reheat it if it is too thick.
Heidy Linn says
Being from a traditional Italian family, I was a little skeptical about trying this Gluten-free pink sauce pasta made with coconut milk recipe--but I decided I was going to make it. I am so GLAD I did. It was delicious, and the husband even ate two servings.
Have a great day
So pleased you and your family liked it! Thank you for the kind review <3
Amy B. says
I've been looking for some healthy pasta dishes and this one is perfect! So delicious and I wouldn't have thought to use coconut milk before!
Oh! I love the idea of the coconut milk...what a rich and delicious idea for creamy pasta. Definitely cannot wait to give this a go!
I have been craving pasta, but with my new pregnancy hormones my body is causing me to break out in itchy rashes every time I have gluten. This is so perfect! Thanks so much for the recipe 🙂
So glad you like it!
I love the simplicity and the combination of flavors in this pasta dish. I would have never thought to make it with coconut milk. It turned out wonderfully!
Farrukh Aziz says
In this house, pasta can never get a no. The pasta was fantastic, and the flavors were so perfect! Thanks a bunch for sharing!
Thank you Farrukh, I'm glad you like it.
What a delicious change of pace this was to my usual pink sauce. I wasn't sure I was going to like the coconut milk in it but it gave it a little tropical taste. I also used parmesan instead of mozzarella and it came out great. The whole family enjoyed this dinner and mom liked it because it was quick and easy.
I'm so glad you liked it, Linda! Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.
I've never had a pasta dish made with a coconut sauce, and your recipe sounds so delicious! I love all of these ingredients so I'm sure I'll love every bit of this dish.
Thank you, Heather!
Love the idea of using coconut milk in the sauce!
Thank you so much! I'm happy you like it!
I love that this sauce uses coconut milk instead of heavy cream. It makes it a much smarter choice, and still feels like comfort food. And there are so many lovely veggies this, too. The perfect healthy comfort food recipe.
Thank you for your kind comment; I'm glad you like it.