Salty, savory cake with cheese, onions, black olives, and olive oil. This cake is perfect for breakfast and can be altered to match your taste buds!
This savory cake is perfect for breakfast and can be made ahead. You can prepare it the night before and pack it for work or include it in the kid’s lunch bags.
The cake is made with basic cake ingredients but what makes it savory is olive oil, cheese, olives, and spices. I personally prefer making this cake early in the week to have for breakfast throughout the week.
Why will you love this savory cake?
- It takes less than 15 minutes to prep.
- You can add your choice of toppings
- You can make it ahead and freeze it
- It can make breakfast exciting, and kids love it!
What will you need to make a savory cake?
The beauty of this savory cake is that you can alter the toppings to what you desire. However, here is what I used with a few suggestions on mixing things up a little.
- Gluten-Free Flour Mix: The foundation of the cake consists of white rice flour, tapioca flour, corn starch, brown rice flour, and xanthan gum. This gluten-free flour mixture yields the best results for this cake and provides a moist and soft cake.
- Baking Powder: The baking powder will act as a leavening agent to make the cake rise.
- Salt: To add flavor to the cake
- Spring Onions: I like using onions in this savory cake as it provides it with flavor. If you don’t have spring onions, you can use white or red onions. However, make sure to cut them lengthwise.
- Eggs: The eggs provide the savory cake with structure and help it rise in the oven.
- Olive Oil: Olive oil is the primary source of fat in this recipe. I use olive oil instead of vegetable oil because olive oil has a more pungent aroma. It takes this cake to a whole new level, and with every bite, you will taste the olive oil.
- Yogurt: The yogurt provides the cake with tang and helps in keeping the crumbs moist.
- Mozzarella Cheese: The choice of cheese to use is totally up to you. I used mozzarella because I always have it around, but you can choose to add a variety of different cheeses like feta, cheddar, and parmesan. The sky is the limit here!
- Black Olives: The olives add a pleasant bitterness to the cake. You can choose to add green olives instead or entirely omit them.
- Mediterranean Spices: Due to my middle eastern background, I couldn’t help but add a bit of Zaatar and sumac. Both provide great Mediterranean flavor to the cake. The sumac also gives the cake irresistible sourness.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: The apple cider vinegar acts as a leavening agent in this recipe. It helps the cake rise and makes it moist. If you often bake gluten-free, then this must always be in your pantry, trust me.
- Fresh Thyme: I added fresh Thyme to the cake for seasoning and flavor. You can also use oregano or rosemary. Both work great!
Making the savory cake
The process of making the savory cake is so easy and quick. You don’t even need to have a handheld or standalone mixer. A whisk is more than enough! Let’s begin!
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (356 °F)
- Mix The Dry Ingredients: In a bowl, add the gluten-free flours, xanthan gum, baking powder, salt, and spring onions. Using a whisk, combine the ingredients and set the flour mixture aside for later.
- Mix the Wet Ingredients: In a separate bowl, add the eggs, olive oil, yogurt and combine using a whisk or a handheld mixer. Then, add the cheese, olives, Zaatar, sumac, apple cider vinegar, and thyme leaves. Using a whisk, combine the ingredients. Now, add the flour mixture and mix gently using a spatula. Try not to over mix the batter. The batter will be thick, and that is ok.
- Bake: Transfer the savory cake batter to a greased 25 cm (10 inches) cake tin. Spread the cake batter evenly across the tin. Add extra toppings such as cheese and olives and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean.
More Breakfast Ideas
- Gluten-Free Pizza Rolls
- Gluten-Free Snickerdoodle Pancakes
- Gluten-Free Manakish with Cheese
- Gluten-Free Crepe
- 140 grams of White Rice Flour
- 56 grams of Tapioca Flour
- 28 grams of Corn Starch
- 56 grams of Brown Rice Flour
- 1 teaspoon of Xanthan Gum
- 1 ½ tablespoon of Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon of Salt
- 50 grams of Chopped Spring Onions
- 3 Large Eggs
- 265 ml of Virgin Olive Oil
- 84 grams of Yogurt or Sour Cream
- 50 grams of Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 50 grams of Sliced Black Olives
- 1 tablespoon of Zaatar
- ½ tablespoon of Sumac
- 1 teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoon of Fresh Thyme Leaves
- 25 grams of Shredded Mozzarella Cheese for Toppings
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (356 °F)
- Add the white rice flour, tapioca flour, corn starch, brown rice flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, salt, and chopped spring onions in a bowl. Using a whisk, combine the ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, add the eggs, olive oil, and yogurt. Using a whisk or handheld mixer, combine the ingredients. Then add the shredded mozzarella cheese, black olives, Zaatar, sumac, apple cider vinegar, fresh thyme leaves and gently mix until combined. Then add the flour mixture and mix gently using a spatula until combined. The batter will be thick.
- Grease a 25 cm (10 inches) cake tin with butter, then add and spread the savory cake batter to fill the cake pan.
- Now bake the savory cake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean.
- Storage & Freezing: The savory cake can be stored in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to five days. To freeze the savory cake, wrap it in plastic wrap followed by aluminum foil. The cake can be frozen for up to three months.