A fulfilling, easy, and one-pot ground beef curry recipe. This dinner recipe is full of flavor and spices, that it is difficult not to fall in love with it.
In India, gravy or sauce is referred to as curry. Therefore, curry is not one dish but a reference to various unique Indian dishes such as tikka masala, saag, korma, and so much more. This ground beef curry is called Keema Matar. Where “Keema” stands for minced beef and “Matar” stands for pea. The dish incorporates whole spices and ground, filling it with flavor.
Meanwhile, to make this ground beef curry, you will need the following ingredients:
- Olive oil or Ghee: The olive oil will be used to saute the onions and garlic. This helps bring out the flavor of both. You can use Ghee instead of olive oil or can use a combination of both. Traditionally this dish is done with Ghee.
- Red Onions: The flavor and taste of red onion are more robust than white onion, and hence it is widely used in Indian and middle-eastern cooking.
- Garlic: This is one of those ingredient that I can’t live without. Garlic just makes everything better.
- Fresh Ginger: The use of fresh ginger transforms this dish. The ginger will be added to the onion and garlic as they sauté. This enhances its strength.
- Whole Cardamom, Cinnamon, and Clove: Whole spices provide the dish with more flavor.
- Bay Leaves: When cooking with ground beef, I must always include bay leaves. It provides the ground beef with a floral fragrance.
- Ground Beef
- Salt & Black Pepper
- Curry Powder: Curry powder can be found in almost all supermarkets.
- Garam Masala: For an authentic Indian flavor.
- Ground Turmeric: Turmeric is a must include spice in almost all curries.
- Coriander Powder: You can use fresh coriander or coriander powder. I use coriander powder to make things easier for me.
- Ground Cumin
- Chopped Tomato: You can chop two whole tomatoes or use one canned diced tomatoes (400 g, 14.5 Oz).
- Coconut Milk Powder: The use of coconut milk powder is optional. However, I like adding it to this dish as it provides it with a slight tropical taste.
- Potato: The potatoes should be peeled and diced into small squares.
- Peas: Green baby peas work best for this recipe. I use frozen peas and defrost them before use.
Making Ground Beef Curry from Scratch
To start, you will need to add olive oil to a cooking pot on medium-high heat. Allow the oil to get hot for about 30-50 seconds before adding the diced onions, garlic, and grated ginger. Cook the onions, garlic, and ginger for about 3-4 minutes, occasionally stirring, or until the onions have become translucent in color. Then add the whole spices and cook for another minute, stirring occasionally. Allowing the whole spices to cook with the onion, garlic, and ginger help the spices infuse.
Meanwhile, add the ground beef and allow it to cook for 10-12 minutes, occasionally stirring, or until the color of the ground beef has changed. Then add the ground spices and combine.
Next, add the peas and cook them for 3-4 minutes or until they become soft. Once the peas are cooked, add in the potato, chopped tomato, coconut milk powder, water, and stir. Make sure that the water is covering the potato. Then, close the lid and allow the ground beef curry to simmer on low heat for 15-20 minutes. Make sure to stir the curry every once in a while to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the cooking pot.
Serve the ground beef curry with some rice or naan bread, and enjoy!
Check out these international dinner recipes!
Ground Beef Curry
- 25 ml of Virgin Olive Oil or 1 tablespoon of Ghee (¼ cup)
- 2 Red Onions Diced
- 4 Cloves of Garlic Diced
- 1 tablespoon of Fresh Grated Ginger
- 3 Pieces of Cardamom
- 1 Stick of Cinnamon
- 3 Pieces of Clove
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 400 grams of Ground Beef ( 1 Pound)
- 1 teaspoon of Salt
- 1 teaspoon of Black Pepper
- 1 tablespoon of Coriander Powder
- ½ teaspoon of Cumin
- 1 ½ tablespoon of Curry
- ½ teaspoon of Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of Garam Masala
- 135 grams of Frozen Peas (1 Cup)
- 1 Potato Diced into Cubes
- 1 Canned Chopped Tomato (400 grams) (14.5 Oz)
- 2 tablespoon of Coconut Milk Powder (Optional)
- 225 ml of Boiled Water (1 Cup)
- In a cooking pot, add the olive oil on medium-high heat and allow it to get warm for 30-50 seconds. Then add the diced onions, garlic, and grated fresh ginger. Sauté the onions until translucent in color, occasionally stirring, for 3-4 minutes.
- Next, add the whole spices and sauté for another minute or two. Now, add the ground beef and cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the meat has changed color. Then, add the spices and stir to incorporate.
- Afterward, add the peas, and cook for 3-4 minutes or until they have softened.
- Then add the potatoes, chopped tomato, coconut milk powder, and boiled water. Stir all the ingredients and make sure that the potatoes are covered with water. Close the lid of the cooking pot, and allow it to simmer on low heat for 15-20 minutes, occasionally stirring to prevent the ground beef curry from sticking to the bottom.
- Before serving, remove the whole spices and serve the ground beef curry with rice or Naan bread.
- You can use two chopped fresh tomatoes instead of one can of chopped tomato.
- The ground beef curry can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for up to three days.
- Feel free to add more vegetables if you desire, such as carrots or zucchini.