Gluten-free strawberry jam cake made of three layers of vanilla cake, filled with cream cheese frosting and strawberry jam.
The first time I made with cake was for my husband’s birthday, and everyone loved it. The use of fresh strawberries and strawberry jam between vanilla cake layers makes this strawberry jam cake irresistible.
The cream cheese frosting recipe is the same one used for the coconut cupcake recipe.
Strawberry Jam Cake Step by Step Instructions
To make this beautiful strawberry jam cake, we first need to make the cake batter.
Preheat the oven to 180℃
Start by sifting and combining the dry ingredients in a bowl.
Then in a stand-alone mixer, with the paddle attachment attached, or using a hand-held mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, on high speed.
Then add the egg whites and mix at high speed. The batter at this stage will be foamy and thick due to the air trapped in the batter. This air will then expand in the oven while baking, providing a soft and fluffy cake.
Next, add the vanilla extract, sour cream, and apple cider vinegar mixer and mix at high speed until combined, making sure not to overmix the batter. The sour cream and apple cider will provide moisture to the cake.
Afterward, at low speed, add one-third of the dry ingredients followed by one-third of milk, then half of the remaining dry ingredients followed by half of the remaining milk, then the remaining dry ingredients followed by the remaining milk. Make sure to beat until just blended after each addition to prevent the air from escaping. Alternating between dry ingredients and milk prevents the cake batter from curdling and turning into a cottage cheese consistency.
Align the 9-inch cake tins with baking paper and fill them up until they are ⅓ full.
Bake the cakes for 25-30 minutes or until the toothpick inserted at the center of the cake comes out clean. I highly suggest you test the cake’s doneness using a toothpick as each oven can be different.
Allow the cake layers to cool down in the cake pan for 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack to cool down to room temperature. After the cake layers have cooled down to room temperature, you can start decorating, or you can wrap the vanilla cake layers with plastic wrap and freeze them for later. The cake layers can be frozen for up to 6 months.
I make the cake layers ahead and freeze them overnight before decorating them. This prevents the cake layers from breaking and makes the assembling process much easier and smoother.
Assembling the Cake
Now comes the fun part and that is assembling the strawberry jam cake.
Apply cream cheese on top of the first layer and spread it using a knife or a spatula.
Then, add two scoops of strawberry jam and spread it.
Next, add some fresh strawberries.
Then, add the second layer and repeat.
Meanwhile, for the final layer, add cream cheese and decorate with fresh strawberries and flowers.
The cake can be stored in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to two days.
Other Gluten Free Cake Recipes!
- Gluten-Free Lemon Drizzle Cake
- Gluten Free Orange Bundt Cake
- Gluten Free Cinnamon Coffee Cake
- Gluten Free Gingerbread Cake
- Gluten Free Lemon Pound Cake
- Gluten Free Vanilla Bundt Cake
- Gluten Free Red Velvet Cake
- Lazy Cake
- Gluten-Free Strawberry Cheesecake
Strawberry Jam Cake
- 197 grams of White Rice Flour
- 39 grams of Tapioca Flour
- 79 grams of Corn Starch
- 79 grams of Brown Rice Flour
- 1 teaspoon of Xanthan Gum
- 3 ¾ teaspoon of Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon of Baking Soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon of Salt
- 255 grams of Unsalted Butter at Room Temperature
- 525 grams of Granulated Sugar
- 7 Large Egg Whites
- 1 teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 180 grams of Sour Cream
- 1 tablespoon of Vanilla Extract
- 360 ml of Dairy Full Fat Milk
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 110 grams of Unsalted Butter at Room Temperature
- 280 grams of Full-Fat Cream Cheese
- ⅛ teaspoon of Salt
- 330 grams of Sifted Powdered Sugar Icing Sugar
- 1 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- 20-30 Pieces of Fresh Strawberry
- 300 grams of Gluten-Free Strawberry Jam
Making the Cake Layer
- Set the oven rack at the middle level and Preheat the oven to 180℃
- In a bowl, sift and combine the flours, corn starch, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Using a stand-alone mixer with the paddle attachment or hand-held mixer, beat the sugar and butter at medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Then, add the egg whites and beat until creamy.
- Next, add the apple cider vinegar, sour cream, and vanilla extract. Beat at low-medium speed until combined.
- Then, at low speed, add one-third of the dry ingredients, followed by one-third of the milk. Then add half of the remaining dry ingredients followed by half the milk. Next, add the remaining dry ingredients and milk, beating until combined after each addition. Don’t overbeat the batter.
- Grease three 8-inch cake tins and align them with baking paper. Fill each cake tin ⅓ full.
- Bake the cake layers for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake layers to cool in the cake tin for about 5 minutes before transferring it to a cooling rack. Cool the cake layers to room temperature before decorating.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Using a stand-alone mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or hand-held mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter together at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 – 3 minutes.
- Now lower the speed of the mixer and slowly add in the sifted powder sugar. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat for 2 minutes.
- Add in the vanilla extract and beat at low speed until combined.
Assembling the Cake
- Add two-three scoops of cream cheese frosting to the first layer and spread it evenly using a spatula. Add two scoops of strawberry jam on top of the cream cheese and spread it evenly. Then add sliced fresh strawberries on top of the jam. Next, add the second cake layer and repeat.
- For the final cake layer, apply an even coat of cream cheese and decorate the top of the cake with fresh strawberries and flowers.
- Freezing the cake layers overnight will make the decorating process smoother and easier.
- The strawberry jam cake can be stored in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to two days.