Rich, fudgy, and soft chocolate peppermint cupcakes. These cupcakes are packed with peppermint and will be loved by chocolate and mint lovers.
These chocolate peppermint cupcakes are fudgy and soft with peppermint buttercream frosting. Biting into these cupcakes is an experience of its own. You are first hit with the bitterness of the dark chocolate, then the sweetness of buttercream, and then the peppermint hits and wakes your senses.
What makes these cupcakes great is the ingredients used and the method. So let us dive right in!
Chocolate peppermint cupcakes secret
Here are a few ingredients that take these cupcakes to a whole new level:
- Dark Chocolate: The use of 70% dark chocolate makes these cupcakes rich, fudgy, soft, and moist.
- Brown Sugar: The brown sugar adds a subtle caramel flavor to the cupcakes that pair perfectly with chocolate. It also makes the cupcakes moist.
- Peppermint Extract: It is essential to use high-quality peppermint extract to make all the difference. Some peppermint extracts taste a lot like medicine, so make sure to use a brand you trust.
- Peppermint Candy Canes: The secret ingredient in these chocolate peppermint cupcakes is actual peppermint candy canes. You will need to crush the candy canes into tiny pieces before adding them. They will strengthen the peppermint flavor and add a nice crunch to the cupcakes.
Making Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes
These chocolate peppermint cupcakes are easy to make, and they won’t take you much time.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (356°F)
- Melt the Chocolate: Using a microwave, melt the chocolate in 20-second intervals stirring after each until no lumps remain.
- Prepare the dry ingredients: Mix and combine the gluten-free flour mix, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder. Make sure to sift the cocoa powder.
- Prepare the wet ingredients: In a separate bowl, mix the brown sugar, white sugar, vegetable oil, eggs, vanilla extract, peppermint extract, and buttermilk until combined.
- Make the batter: To create the batter, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and combine using a whisk. Then, add the crushed peppermint candy canes and combine.
- Bake the cupcakes: Align a cupcake tin with cupcake liners and fill the liners ⅔ full. Then, bake the cupcakes for 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean.
Making Peppermint Buttercream
These chocolate peppermint cupcakes taste great with peppermint buttercream. Here is how you can make soft and creamy buttercream at home!
- Fluff the Butter: Using a handheld mixer or a standalone mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium-high speed until light and fluffy (2-3).
- Add the Sugar: Reduce the speed to low, and slowly add the sugar until fully incorporated. Do not add the sugar all at once, or it will fly everywhere.
- Add the flavoring: Once the sugar is incorporated, add the vanilla extract, milk, and salt and mix until combined.
More Cupcake Recipes
- Gluten-Free Vanilla Cupcakes
- Gluten-Free German Chocolate Cupcakes
- Gluten-Free Coconut Cupcakes
- Gluten-Free Cinnamon Sugar Cupcakes
Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes | Gluten-Free
- 50 grams of 70% Dark Chocolate
- 50 grams of White Rice Flour
- 20 grams of Tapioca Flour
- 10 grams of Corn Starch
- 20 grams of Brown Rice Flour
- 1 teaspoon of Xanthan Gum
- ½ teaspoon of Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon of Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon of Salt
- 25 grams of Cocoa Powder
- 40 grams of Brown Sugar
- 90 grams of Granulated White Sugar
- 70 ml of Vegetable Oil
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- ½ teaspoon of Peppermint Extract
- 170 ml of Buttermilk at room temperature
- 4 Peppermint Candy Canes Crushed
- 200 grams of Unsalted Butter at room temperature
- 420 grams of powdered Sugar
- 1 tablespoon of Meringue Powder Optional
- 2 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- 2 tablespoon of Milk
- ⅛ teaspoon of Salt
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (356°F).
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate in 20-second intervals stirring after each until no lumps remain. Set the chocolate aside and cool slightly while preparing the other ingredients.
- Combine the white rice flour, tapioca flour, corn starch, brown rice flour, xanthan gum, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder.
- In a separate bowl, add the brown sugar, granulated white sugar, vegetable oil, eggs, vanilla extract, peppermint extract, buttermilk, and melted chocolate and mix using a whisk until combined. Then add the flour mixture and combine. Now, add the crushed candy canes and mix.
- Align a cupcake tin with cupcake liners and fill each liner ⅔ full.
- Bake the cupcakes for 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean.
- Using a handheld mixer or standalone mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium-high speed until light and fluffy (2-3 minutes).
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and slowly add the powdered sugar followed by the meringue powder and mix until fully incorporated. Then add the vanilla extract and salt and beat until combined.
- Use the buttercream frosting to decorate the cupcakes; you can also store the buttercream frosting in the fridge for up to two days. Before use, beat the buttercream frosting using a handheld mixer or standalone mixer to bring back its original creamy consistency.
- Storage & Freezing: unfrosted cupcakes can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days and can be stored in the fridge for up to a week. Frosted cupcakes should be stored in the refrigerator for a maximum of 7 days.
- Dairy-Free Option: To make the chocolate cupcakes dairy-free replace the buttermilk with almond milk. Add one tablespoon of lemon to the almond milk and let it sit for 10 minutes until the milk thickens. Meanwhile, for the buttercream frosting, use vegan butter or vegetable shortening.